Your go-to advice for preventing skin breakouts
OMG! Why another pimple?
No matter how much you take care of your skin, how much time you invest in following an ardent skincare regime, still these breakouts happen. They show up when you should not be having them such as big occasion, important presentation or attending a party.
You need to follow expert advice to treat adult acne problem. While some ladies may be lucky to outgrow the acne breakouts during their teen years, the rest of them do need help to deal with these recurring acne breakouts during their 20s, 30s and even beyond. But remember that only the use of products will not help you to clear out acne breakouts. You need to follow some useful tips to prevent the acne zits from popping.
- Get proper 8-10 hours of sleep which is required for the body and skin to heal and cope up with any damage caused during the day time.
- Stop taking dairy products. There are additional androgens in the milk of a cow which can result in causing hormonal imbalances.
- Take antioxidants rich foods such as berries, pomegranates etc.
- Daily change your pillow cover as acne causing bacteria often stick to the pillow cover at night sticking to your skin again the next night.
Now try out these ways in which you can minimise your acne and can prevent acne breakouts.
The best piece of advice regarding acne is that avoid taking anything that aggravates the condition of your skin. It will also help to minimise acne breakouts and associated redness. Making slight changes in your skin care regime, makeup routine, avoiding aggravating skin products and using non-irritant products can help a lot in treating acne. You will be able to see the results in just a few days.
- Remove the skincare as well as cosmetic products for your routine that have high levels of SD or denatured alcohol: In most of the skin care and cosmetic products that are meant for acne prone skin, alcohol is a commonly found ingredient because it is believed to dry our pimples. But in actual, it stimulates oiliness in the skin which responds in the form of more acne breakouts.
- Avoid applying makeup products that are thick or solid in texture: using sticky or creamy foundations because the ingredients used in these products have an oily base such as wax, polyethylene often proves harmful for the acne-prone skin.
- Always remove makeup from your face before going to bed: No matter how tired you are, must remove makeup before you go to bed. Because the makeup left on the skin while you are sleeping leads to clogged pores, redness of skin and puffy eyes. The dead skin layer accumulates and the skin is not able to undergo the renewal process properly. Always remove makeup with a gentle cleanser then use a gentle toner to remove any residual traces followed by the use of skin replenishing products.
- Avoid over cleansing your face: it is good to do skin cleaning but over cleansing and washing can aggravate the condition of acne prone skin. It is best to cleanse your skin two times in a day, once in morning and once at night. Use a gentle and mild cleanser that won’t dry out your skin. Avoid using bar cleansers.
- Do not use scrubs and skin cleansing brushes: as scrubs or cleansing brushes have abrasive action on the skin, they tend to aggravate acne and redness. It is clear from research that use of salicylic acid for exfoliation of acne prone skin holds multiple benefits. It offers gentle, effective and a natural way of exfoliating skin. As salicylic acid is a BHA, it unclogs pores and clears them of any dirt, debris and sebum which mean less likeliness of breakouts.
- Adopt sun protective behaviour: It is said that exposure of skin to sunlight unprotected helps to clear breakouts but in actual it cause sun damage to the skin. This makes your skin weak and more vulnerable to acne breakouts. If you are concerned about the creamy texture of the SPF then choose a fluid one having a light weight formula.
- Prevent acne with Benzoyl peroxide: it is a powerful ingredient which you can also use for preventing acne breakouts. You can use it for few weeks in the acne prone facial areas and you will notice the difference. Start with 2.5% concentration of benzoyl peroxide and if you have stubborn acne in some areas use up to 5% concentration.
Although these points may seem difficult to remember at once, they will help in the prevention of acne in the long run and will save you from the trouble of dealing with its aftermath. Integrate one point at a time in your routine and you will notice a clear difference in your skin condition.