The skin around our eyes is particularly sensitive and thin which is significantly affected by the signs of ageing. It becomes loose and sagging giving a tired appearance to the overall facial appearance which adds extra years to our actual age. It is possible to encounter this condition through a facial cosmetic surgery procedure known as ‘eye-bag removal surgery’. Through this eye-lid surgery procedure, the facial youthfulness and freshness is restored. The excess skin and fatty tissues are removed in eye-bag removal surgery that forms a hood above the eye as a result of ageing. Similarly, eye bag surgery can also help in removing the excess skin and fat tissues that are formed under the eye area. It also helps to smooth the crow’s feet wrinkles formed around the eye corners.
Types of eye-bags
- Lower eye-lid bags: these bags are formed due to fat accumulation and loss of volume in cheeks and face under the lower eyelid due to ageing.
- Upper eye-lid bags: these bags are formed due to presence of excess skin tissues and skin laxity around the upper eye-lid area.
Other causes of formation of eye-bags
Ageing is the primary cause of formation of eye-bags but there are some other causes which contribute towards their formation including;
- Fluid retentions ( due to medications, hormonal changes, environmental factors)
- Hereditary factors
- Lack of proper sleep
- Stress and tensions
Problems treated through eye-bag removal surgery ( Blepharoplasty)
If you are experiencing any of the following issues around the eyes area then it is recommended to undertake eye-bag removal surgery.
- Presence of excess skin that covers and hides the upper eyelid folds
- The sagging and loose skin covering the upper eyelids
- Formation of dark circles and eye bag around the eye
- Appearance of ‘crepe paper like’ wrinkles and lines around the eyes
- Lower eyelids droopiness
- Tired eyes
Advantages of Blepharoplasty/ eye-bag removal surgery
- Helps in improving the self-confidence and boost self-esteem
- Gives a refreshing appearance to the facial profile
- Allows convenient application of make-up
- Gives youthful appearance
- It can even improve vision in some cases
Types of Eye-bag removal surgery
There are three types of eye-bag removal surgery which can be conducted for;
- Removing upper eye-bags – for treating the loose and sagging upper eyelids
- Lower eye-bag removal – for removal of under eye-bags
- Upper and lower eye-lid removal- it combines both
Eye-bag removal surgery procedure
Blepharoplasty or eye-bag removal surgery is a simple surgical treatment procedure that can take up to 3 hours. The duration of procedure and recovery period can be different from individual to individual depending on the type of surgery patient has.
- Upper eye-lid surgery: most of the patients are given local anaesthesia combined with mild sedative for the upper –eye bag removal surgery. The surgeon starts the surgical procedure by making tiny incisions along the natural creases of upper lid almost 1 cm above the eyelashes. After this, the fatty tissues are removed or repositioned while the sagging skin is cautiously separated from the underlying skin tissues. Afterwards, the underlying muscles are stretched to make the skin smooth and wrinkle free before applying surgical glue or stitching the skin.
- Lower eye-lid surgery: general anaesthesia is given for the lower eye-bag removal surgery. For the surgery, the small incisions are created along the lower lash line. Then the loose skin is tightened to smooth the wrinkles and lines. Then it is removed and the incisions are closed with stitches. This gives a smooth, young and fresh appearance to the face.
Eye-bag removal surgery results may vary from patient to patient but in most of the cases this facial cosmetic treatment procedure brings about refreshing and renewing change in the facial appearance. The results of this surgery are permanent and long lasting giving an overall fresh and youthful look to facial profile. Patients who undergo eye-bag removal surgery for improving vision, the surgery gives positive results.
Possible risks and side effects of Blepharoplasty
No facial cosmetic surgery procedure is without risks and eye-bag removal surgery is no exception to this. The possible risks and side effects involved in eye-lid removal surgery include;
- Eye or skin infections that are curable with antibiotic ointments
- Changes in your vision which is temporary
- Discomfort and pain
- Scarring and swelling
- Uneven eyes healing process where one heals faster as compared to the other
These conditions are temporary and usually fade away in few days or week after the surgery. Rarely, some of the side effects of eye-bag removal surgery may occur including;
- Hematoma or blood clots formation
- Possible loss of eyelashes following the eye-lid removal surgery
- Some adverse reaction to anaesthesia
- Outbreak of acne or white heads
- Eye skin loosening
Generally, majority of the patients return back to their normal routine activities in 2 weeks after the eye-bag removal surgery. During the recovery period, the patients are recommended to take rest, keep their head raised and apply cold compressions to relieve pain. Instantly after having the eye-bag removal surgery, the area around the eye will appear swelled and bruised. The patients will be given medications to relieve any discomfort and pain. To minimize discomfort, the patients are advised to do complete rest for at least 2-3 days after the surgical procedure while avoiding any kind of strenuous activities which may place pressure on the treated eye area.
The cost of eye-bag removal surgery starts from about £2100 and varies depending on the type of surgery the patient have. For more information you can check our price page or can contact us directly.