Facial Tread Results
Risk & Complications
Swelling, Redness, Itching, Bruising
24-48 hours, no downtime
Back To Work
What Are Facial Thread Veins
Facial thread veins — broken blood vessels or “spider veins” — occur due to enlarged blood vessels just beneath the surface of your skin.
This results in small, fine, red lines that spread out into web-like pattern; hence the name spider veins.
Though these thread veins can develop anywhere on the body, they are more common on the face and legs. The medical term for the condition is telangiectasia.
Facial Thread veins that appear on the facial area are mostly harmless, but they make people suffer from the condition to feel uncomfortable with how they look. Facial thread veins can be divided into:
- Blood Spots
- Red Thread Veins
- Spider Veins
- Chest and back
- And skin bumpiness
Usually, these broken capillaries occur around the nose and on the cheeks.
The person affected appears to be blushing, and the veins are visible in red, purple or blue colours.
The Treatment for Facial Thread Veins and Broken Capillaries
Our cosmetic doctor assesses your condition at our free initial consultation and recommends the duration of each session, as well as the number of sessions that will be required to reverse the condition.
The process involves inserting a fine needle into the broken capillaries. Our expert cosmetic doctors make sure that the needle is inserted into the vein and not into the surrounding tissue. This helps to prevent tissue burn and ensures that the procedure continues as planned.
Once the needle is correctly placed, a minute quantity of electric current is passed through the needle. This heats up the vein and removes the discolouration.
The process might cause slight discomfort, and so a local anaesthetic cream is usually applied to alleviate the issue. The process is repeated until all the areas that was identified in the initial consultation has been covered.
How The Skin Peel Treatment Is Performed?
At the beginning of the treatment, your skin is cleansed thoroughly with a cleanser. After that a chemical skin peel solution is cautiously applied on your skin.
It will remain on your skin for few minutes depending on the type of skin and peel and then it is removed.
Facial Thread Veins
Book in for an honest and friendly consultation
Frequently Asked Questions
What Are The Risk Factors Of Facial Thread Veins?
Facial thread veins are quite common and there are a variety of factors that can lead to this skin condition. However, most common ones are genetic and hormonal. Other factors include advancing age, where the veins start to lose their elasticity.
- Genes: Spider veins tend to run in families for unknown reasons.
- Weather changes: Drastic changes in the temperature may affect the circulation in the body. For instance, hot weather may cause the skin in the face to flush, and spider veins may become visible.
- Sun exposure: Sun exposure can also dilate your blood vessels, and sun damage can peel your skin, making your blood vessels more noticeable.
- Pregnancy: Hormonal changes, especially an increase in estrogen hormones during pregnancy, can cause blood vessels to break. However, pregnancy-related spider veins usually heal after giving birth.
- Rosacea: This common skin condition can cause it to become red and flushed due to dilated veins. People with rosacea often experience spider veins.
- Alcohol consumption: Alcohol can temporarily enlarge the blood vessels. However, frequent alcohol consumption may lead this skin condition to last long.
- Environmental factors: Exposure to certain chemicals or environmental irritants may damage your skin and make blood vessels more visible, especially on your face.
- Injuries or Trauma: Any skin bruising can also make your blood vessels noticeable. Moreover, your skin condition may start to heal along with your bruises.
How many Electrocautery treatments do I need?
This non-invasive procedure takes place fast and provides quick results in one session. However, you may require more than one treatment or a top-up treatment after 2-4 weeks for optimum results.
How Many Treatments Do I Need To Have To Get The Desired Results?
It largely depends on the concern of individuals and the desired outcomes. You can purchase these in the form of package which is available at reduced prices.
How many IPL treatments do I need?
The frequency of IPL sessions usually depends upon the size, colour and age of your thread veins. Generally, you may require 3 to 6 appointments to address the issue. Moreover, it takes relatively longer to break down larger, older veins.
The results also vary from person to person, and it can take 2-3 weeks to see the final results.
What Causes Facial Thread Veins?
Thread Veins have no known causes, but there are some links. Some of these links are:
- Acne Rosacea, a skin disorder.
- Hormonal changes during pregnancy or menopause
- Excessive sun exposure
- Alcohol intake
- Harm to any part of the face
Are Facial Thread Veins Dangerous?
No, facial thread veins are not to be feared. While they are unpleasant, they rarely result in major health problems. Varicose veins, on the other hand, are larger and can cause painful blood clots or ulcers, especially around the ankles.
How Can I Prevent Facial Thread Vein/Spider Veins?
Though the actual cause of the facial thread veins or spider veins is not known, however, there are some simple steps that you can take to avoid them.
- Avoid extreme heat – High temperatures, such as those seen in spas, saunas, and hot weather, can dilate blood vessels and increase the likelihood of spider veins forming.
- Limit Your Sun Exposure – Sun rays contain UVA and UVB rays that can potentially harm your skin in addition to worsening your spider veins. Therefore, always wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen even when it is cloudy.
- Avoid extremely hot or cold water – You can alter the temperature of the shower to make it less hot or cold. Also, avoid long baths and showers.
- Healthy Lifestyle – You can reduce the chances of facial thread veins by avoiding drinking too much alcohol and smoking. Maintaining a healthy weight also reduces the chance of vein problems by preventing unnecessary pressure on the valves in the legs.
A nutritious diet (for example, grapes and Vitamin C, E, and K) can also assist in reducing risk. You may also use food supplements to fulfil your daily nutrition requirements.
- Wear Compression Garments – Wearing compression clothing on a daily basis can help to enhance blood flow in the legs.
- Wear protection: Injury-related spider veins may be avoided with the use of protective gear. Facemasks and helmets for baseball, cycling, and riding a motorcycle are examples.
- Avoid vasodilators: Vasodilators force blood vessels to dilate, causing spider veins to become more visible. Caffeine, spicy meals and alcohol are all natural vasodilators.
Redness and damaged blood vessels can result from even moderate alcohol consumption in certain people. Therefore, it is advised to limit or avoid such risk factors altogether.
When Is The Best Suitable Time For Having Peel Treatment?
It is recommended that you have the chemical skin peel treatment ideally in winter season because during winter the skin is less exposed to sun. You should not undertake the treatment if you are going on holiday to a country with hot climate or before any special occasion. It is important to note that it is always advisable to apply sun screen and particularly after having the skin peel treatment.
What Is the Treatment for Facial Thread Veins and Broken Capillaries?
There are a variety of non-invasive treatment options for Facial Thread Veins, that do not carry any serious risks or complications. Moreover, the downtime is minimal especially you follow and aftercare advice of your doctor.
Some of the common treatments for Facial Thread Veins Are:
Electrodesiccation is a non-laser, precision-based procedure that is ideal for treating small areas of the face. It effectively dehydrates the tiny capillaries visible on your skin. Moreover, it is minimally invasive and quite a safe treatment, causing mild discomfort.
The process involves inserting a fine needle into the broken capillaries. Our experts make sure that the needle is inserted into the vein and not into the surrounding tissue. This helps to prevent tissue burn and ensures that the procedure continues as planned.
A weak electric current is passed through the needle to seal off the blood vessels responsible for spider veins. This process heats the vein and removes the discolouration.
The process might cause slight discomfort, and so a local anaesthetic cream is usually applied to alleviate the issue. It is important to repeat the procedure several times to treat all the affected areas effectively.
The results are almost immediate of the thread veins treatment, and the entire procedure is quite fast as well. Since the electrocautery is quite precise, the surrounding healthy skin is not affected in any way during your treatment.
Who is affected?
Thread veins can affect both men and women of all ages. Facial thread veins impact an increasing number of people as they become older. Moreover, females are also more likely than males to have facial vein problems.
Nevertheless, facial thread veins are a common condition in the UK and are successfully treated as well.
How many Laser treatments do I need?
The requirement of laser therapy sessions depends upon a variety of factors as well as the severity of your problem. Generally, a series of 2-6 treatments that is 4-6 weeks apart is recommended.
It is best to have a detailed consultation with your doctor before and after your treatment to assess your concern better.
What Are the Side Effects of the Laser Therapy?
The treated area may feel hot for a few minutes or so after your procedure and may also look slightly flushed. However, the side reactions of the treatments are different for different patients and may usually take 10-14 days to settle down.
A small blister may form, and there may be a temporary whitening or darkening of the skin that fades within a few weeks. However, this is quite rare.
What Is the Aftercare for Facial Thread Removal Treatment?
There is usually no significant recovery period after laser therapy. However, some aftercare will be necessary to avoid any complication as well as to achieve desirable results. Following are some of the important instructions after your treatment:
- Apply a cooling gel, such as Witch Hazel or Aloe Vera, liberally to the affected region to keep it cool and avoid infection.
- Avoid direct heat sources such as hot baths or showers, saunas, and sunbathing.
- When out in the sun, use a minimum of SPF 25 or higher.
- Unless otherwise directed, do not use any other product on the treated area.
- Avoid rubbing the treated area until it heals completely
- Gently wash your face without using any harsh chemicals or cleansers.
When To See a doctor?
Even though spider veins do not cause any harm, not any additional symptoms, however, if you are bothered by their appearance, you may seek professional help. The doctor will be able to help to determine the underlying cause and prescribe you, its treatment.
There are, however, some cases where facial thread veins may indicate an underlying medical condition. This may be better assessed by a doctor who will examine them and provide the diagnosis.