Immediate | 9 – 18 months
Risk & Complications
Swelling, Bruises and Infection (rare)
Back To Work
What is Hyperpigmentation?
Hyper Pigmentation is a particular condition of skin that causes the darkening of certain areas of skin. It is primarily caused by the overproduction of ‘melanin’ a skin pigment.
This condition is quite common in both genders belonging to any of the ethnic group especially in the ethnicities with light complexions.
Hyper pigmentation is usually a harmless condition but in some cases it may also be a symptom of illness or any disease.
Most of the people are concerned about this condition because of its aesthetic implications which disturbs them and cause stress and anxiety.
Hyperpigmentation can be treated by:
Cosmeceuticals & Prescription Skin Care
- Broad Spectrum Sunscreen:The use of broad spectrum sunscreen like SPF 30 and above is highly recommended during sun exposure in order to prevent any further skin damage due to UV rays exposure.
- Hydroquinone & Kojic Acid: Both are very effective cosmeceutical skin lightener products. Hydroquinone is also referred to as the ‘Gold Standard’ for treating hyperpigmentation. For enhancing the results of this hyperpigmentation treatment, it can be used in combination with antioxidants, hydroxy acids retinoids. Kojic acid offers almost similar results to that of hydroquinone and even better when used in combination with hydroquonine and glycolic acid.
- Vitamin A products:these include Retinol and Tretinoin that helps in skin rejuvenation and resurfacing and also helps to increase the turnover of cells.
- Alpha Hydroxy Acids:these not only exfoliate skin but also smooth the skin and increase the cell turnover while giving even skin tone.
- For mild pigmentation, microdermabrasion prove to be an effective hyperpigmentation treatment. It improves the rough and sun damaged skin through skin exfoliation and lightens pigmentation. It also aids in diffusing the active care products in skin. This hyperpigmentation proved to be highly effective when used in combination with chemical skin peel treatment.
Skin Peel Treatment
- Skin peels for hyperpigmentation treatment give improved and enhanced results when other topical therapies are unable to provide desired results. Chemical skin peels have essential and natural skin care ingredients including Lactic, Salicylic and Glycolic Acid which helps in skin resurfacing and also increase cell turnover. This treatment may be used alongwith other topical therapies to achieve optimal results. Chemical skin peels are available in varying depths and strengths to suit different skin types. The unique Peel to Reveal by Harley Street Formulations offers a cocktail of powerful skin brighteners infused in TCA/Lactic/Salicyclic to provide intense skin rejuvenation and correction of hyper pigmentation.
IPL Treatment For Hyperpigmentation
- IPL (intense pulse laser) make use of the broad spectrum light contrary to the single wavelength lasers. It helps in clearing up the dark spots, age spots and hyperpigmentation caused by sun damage and ageing. IPL make use of the intense pulse light that usually needs 3-6 treatments sessions to clear the skin and give even skin tone. The treatment has no downtime.
- Dermaroller also referred to as micro-needling make use of a special dermaroller device which gently rejuvenates the skin and improve pigmentation. This hyperpigmentation treatment helps in reduction of pigmentation by increasing cell turnover while at the same time during treatment powerful anti-oxidants and skin brighteners are infused into the skin.
Price on Consultation
Possible side effects
All the above mentioned hyperpigmentation treatments have fewer side effects as they are custom tailored according to the skin type and severity of the skin condition of the patient. The common side effects associated with chemical skin peel, microdermabrasion and dermaroller and IPL for hyperpigmentation treatments include:
- redness of skin
- slight itching
In professional hands at CosmeDocs, the side effects are minimal.
Why Hyperpigmentation occur?
There are two major reasons due to which hyperpigmentation occur;
- The concentrations of melanocytes, which are responsible for producing melanin within skin, become very high.
- Hyperactivation of melanocytes.
Almost all of the hyperpigmentation treatments have none to very little downtime. Patients can instantly resume their daily and routine activities without any severe problem.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do These Hyperpigmentation Treatments Completely Cure Hyperpigmentation?
No, you should have realistic expectations. These hyperpigmentation treatments do not completely eliminate hyperpigmentation however it will be significantly lightened and will almost become invisible.
Which Hyperpigmentation Treatment Is Best For Me?
The choice of the hyperpigmentation treatment depends largely on the types of skin and extent of skin condition. The doctor will conduct a complete examination of the skin in initial consultation and will recommend a hyperpigmentation treatment which will suit best to your condition and skin type.
How Many Hyperpigmentation Treatments Do I Require To Have In Order To Improve My Skin Condition?
This is largely determined by the severity of your hyperpigmentation. However, 40%-50% improvement is mostly observed after the first treatment session. You can have significant reduction in hyperpigmentation after receiving 2-3 treatments.
What causes hyperpigmentation?
The overactivity of pigment-producing cells called melanocytes is responsible for hyperpigmentation. This can also occur in many ways, including sun exposure, hormonal changes, acne, and breakouts that may result in hyperpigmentation.
Can Hyperpigmentation Go Away Naturally?
It’s more or less permanent in some situations. There are treatments available that will help. Some won’t fully remove black marks, but they will significantly lighten them.
There Are Dark Spots On My Skin, Is It Hyperpigmentation?
There is a possibility of hyperpigmentation. If you observe any darker area on your body as compared to rest of skin, it is most likely to be hyperpigmentation.
What Measures Can I Take To Prevent Hyperpigmentation?
You can take some preventive measures in your daily life.
- Whenever you go out wear SPF 30 or higher and avoid excessive sun exposure.
- By adopting a regular skin exfoliation regime you can remove the accumulation of dead skin cells which are contributing factor to hyperpigmentation.
- Avoid picking on your acne or skin that can develop dark spots.
- There are some medications which can cause skin discoloration, so its better to consult your doctor about it.
Will Retinol Remove Dark Spots?
Surprisingly, Retinol is one of the best ingredients for fading dark spots.
Can A qDermatologist Remove Dark Spots?
A dermatologist can offer creams or procedures to lighten dark spots, or in some cases, eliminate them.
How Long After IPL Treatment Do You See Results?
IPL uses the intense pulse light that usually needs 3-6 treatments sessions to clear and even out skin tone. The treatment has no downtime.