The Hyperpigmentation Clinic By CosmeDocs
The Hyperpigmentation Clinic
Hyperpigmentation is a common skin disorder that affects millions worldwide. Many people suffer due to misinformation or lack of guidance. However, a good doctor can prevent this from happening. Therefore, you can access the hyperpigmentation clinic by CosmeDocs via in-clinic appointment or virtually.
What is Hyperpigmentation
Why Hyperpigmentation occurs?
The overactivity of pigment-producing cells called melanocytes is responsible for hyperpigmentation. This can also occur in many ways, including sun exposure, hormonal changes, acne, and breakouts that may result in hyperpigmentation. Hence, at the hyperpigmentation clinic, we take skin concerns seriously.
Common causes we see at the hyperpigmentation clinic
Hyperpigmentation can be classified based on its causes. Some of the primary reasons are as follows:
Post Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation (PIH):
Following are the most common causes of hyperpigmentation:
- Injury to the skin due to burns
- Acne lesions,
- Skin friction
- Application of some skincare treatments.
Usually, this condition improves as your skin regenerates; however, this can take many months. Furthermore, hyperpigmentation treatment works quite effectively on PIH.
UV Exposure/ Generalised Dullness of Skin:
A prolonged UVB sun exposure causes this kind of hyperpigmentation. However, it’s not noticeable in the spots form. It appears in the form of general skin dullness on the entire face. Moreover, the face’s skin tone becomes dull and dark compared to the other parts of the body. Many women conceal this facial dullness by using concealers and facial foundations, which helps to brighten skin tone.
Liver or age spots is another name of lentigines. With progressive ageing, these spots become more visible, but ageing is not directly responsible for their appearance. In fact, overexposure to the sun’s UV rays is the primary reason behind this skin condition.
Hormonal imbalance is usually responsible for this kind of hyperpigmentation. For instance, fluctuations in your hormones can result in hyperpigmentation. Some of the health conditions are:
- Thyroid dysfunction,
- Hormone replacement therapy,
- Pregnancy-related melasma
Oil is the skin’s biggest enemy and is the root cause of increased skin bacteria, blocking pores, acne and breakouts. Similarly, increased inflammation levels can also activate melanocytes. Hence, we pay particular attention to your skin’s oil levels at the hyperpigmentation clinic and treat them accordingly.
Some of the other causes we see commonly at the hyperpigmentation clinic;
- Skin picking
- Intake of certain medications like antibiotics, hormone and anti-seizure drugs.
- Inflammation of the skin (as after treatments like laser hair removal).
The hyperpigmentation clinic by Cosmedocs
- Broad Spectrum Sunscreen:The use of broad spectrum sunscreen like SPF 30 and above is highly recommended during sun exposure in order to prevent any further skin damage due to UV rays exposure.
- Hydroquinone & Kojic Acid: Both are very effective cosmeceutical skin lightener products. Hydroquinone is also referred to as the ‘Gold Standard’ for treating hyperpigmentation. For enhancing the results of this hyperpigmentation treatment, it can be used in combination with antioxidants, hydroxy acids retinoids. Kojic acid offers almost similar results to that of hydroquinone and even better when used in combination with hydroquonine and glycolic acid.
- Vitamin A products:these include Retinol and Tretinoin that helps in skin rejuvenation and resurfacing and also helps to increase the turnover of cells.
- Alpha Hydroxy Acids:these not only exfoliate skin but also smooth the skin and increase the cell turnover while giving even skin tone.
The prescription medications such as tretinoin and hydroquinone are provided through either in-clinic or online consultation.
Feel free to call or book online a free appointment with the hyperpigmentation clinic team.
For mild pigmentation, microdermabrasion prove to be an effective hyperpigmentation treatment. Exfoliation improves the rough, sun-damaged skin and lightens pigmentation.
It also aids in diffusing the active care products in the skin. Therefore, this hyperpigmentation proved to be highly effective when used in combination with chemical skin peel treatment.
Skin peels at the hyperpigmentation clinic improve and enhance results when other topical therapies do not work well. Chemical skin peels have essential and natural skin care ingredients, including:
These help to resurface the skin and also increase cell turnover. In addition to peels, other topical therapies can greatly benefit your skin. Chemical skin peels are available in varying depths and strengths to suit different skin types.
The unique Peel to Reveal by Harley Street Formulations offers a cocktail of powerful skin brighteners. TCA/Lactic/Salicylic acid in the peels renew the skin and reduce hyperpigmentation.
IPL (intense pulse laser) uses broad-spectrum light, unlike some single wavelength lasers. It clears up the dark spots, age spots and hyperpigmentation caused by the sun and ageing.
Furthermore, IPL uses the intense pulse light that usually needs 3-6 treatments sessions to clear and even out skin tone. The treatment has no downtime.
Dermaroller also referred to as micro-needling, make use of a particular derma roller device. It gently rejuvenates the skin and improves pigmentation.
Moreover, this hyperpigmentation treatment increases cell turnover to reduce darkened skin. Dermaroller treatment is also combined with powerful anti-oxidants and skin brighteners to effectively treat your pigmentation.
Downtime of melasma treatments
Almost all of the hyperpigmentation treatments have minimal downtime. You can instantly resume their routine activities without any severe problem.
The Hyperpigmentation Clinic guide to getting you started
Step 1. Visit CosmeShop to see options.
- Choose a Glycolic acid face wash
- Control inflammation using a Vitamin C serum in the morning
- Start a low dose retinol cream at night (use retinal instead of retinol if you have sensitive skin)
- Book in a clinic or virtual appointment
You can enhance your hyperpigmentation treatment by avoiding your usual skin products. Moreover, use the above products for 4-8 weeks.
You can book an appointment (virtual or in-person) to discuss further options. At the hyperpigmentation clinic by Cosmedocs, we have an extensive guide on melasma. So, To read it online or download it visit our hyperpigmentation guide page.
No, you should have realistic expectations. Your hyperpigmentation is not fully cured by these treatments at once. However, you will notice a gradual improvement in your skin with time.
Your skin type and the condition of your hyperpigmentation determines the suitable treatment option for you. Your doctor will closely examine your skin during the initial consultation. Only then he will recommend the proper treatment for you.
Your hyperpigmentation intensity determines the frequency of treatment. However, there is usually a 40%-50% improvement after your first session. Also, your skin shows noticeable improvement after 2-3 treatments against hyperpigmentation.
Darkened areas on your skin are usually signs of hyperpigmentation. Dark patches vary in size and can occur anywhere on your body.
You can take some preventive measures in your daily life.
- Protect your skin from the sun and wear an SPF of 30 or higher.
- Exfoliate your skin to buff away dead skin cells that cause hyperpigmentation.
- Avoid unnecessary touching of your face.
- You can also avoid drugs that may cause discolouration. Moreover, seek medical advice from your doctor.
- Price on Consultation
I had a botox treatment with cosmodocs. I found the price very reasonable. Even better the results were excellent. I will definitely use this service again.” – BH
I am a very satisfied customer of Cosmedocs – I’ve had three facial areas treated with Anti-Wrinkle Injection at CosmeDocs in recent years, and find the treatment swift, thorough and effective. Also, Dr Haq’s pleasant and friendly manner makes the treatment as painless as possible!” – CFSP
-See more products