Reduce that chin sin!
If you have developed a fold of fatty tissue disguised as a double chin breeding a plethora of insecurities, don’t worry- you are not alone!
There was a recent survey, it claimed that 47% of participants were bothered by their double chin, this extends a sense of normality regarding this issue.
Although the occurrence is natural, there are numerous ways to eradicate it and gain a sense of newfound comfortability and confidence. If you fall into this camp, help is at hand but the first step lies in understanding why your jowls have started to take on plumpness, and how you can eradicate your double chin.
Listed below are the most common culprits:
The primary reason for excess skin under the neck is weight gain. In order to hone in on the issue, the diagnoses for weight gain is essential.
- Under-active thyroid- this leads the metabolism to slow down, resulting in weight gain; in which case, a consultation with your doctor is underway!
- Diabetes- a common side effect from taking insulin results in weight gain.
- Stress- utilising food as a coping mechanism may lead to an increase in weight.
- Polycystic ovary syndrome- a symptom of which may include weight gain.
It is detrimental to focus on the root causes, identifying them through the correct methods before seeking for a solid solution; the reasons mentioned above were just to list a few.
However, one of the most effective weapons in the war against the weight gain [and ultimately demolishing the double chin] is diet and exercise.
As elementary as that sounds, the reasons behind the overuse of these treatments is due to the effectiveness of them.
It is fundamental to place the effort into your weight loss treatment, it would be tiresome to undergo a plethora of treatments [whilst the doctors fix the causes] without working on them yourself, it’s a 50/50 effort!
- This means physical exercise, give your body what it deserves! Take your pick, whether it’s yoga in the relaxing sunlight, intensive kick boxing every other day, or even daily walks in the local park with your mother.
- This comes hand in hand with maintaining a balanced and healthy diet; laying out a plan of what your body is asking you, and what you are choosing to supply. After all, you are what you eat!
Unfortunately, a leading case for the development of a double chin is the natural ageing process, evidently portrayed through facial muscles ageing.
As you age, nature plays a large hand through the trickery of weight gain- you begin losing muscle mass [which drags your metabolism down], and you’ll see a reduction in the skin’s collagen production- collagen aids in the elasticity.
These might seem like harsh repercussions, but there are always ways to lead a lifestyle you’re happy with. The repercussions are prolonged, which adds a large margin- the methods and means will work, as long as they are implemented.
Do not drag yourself into the mindset that it’s too late!
As mentioned above, through regulating your physical exercise, and balancing your consumption- implementing them as you do brushing your teeth [as a strict regime]- there are ways to improve the ageing process.
Ageing typically starts to happen as you hit your early 20s, but internalising these healthy habits and seeking for treatments can easily aid in achieving a youthful and long lasting glow.
Now, there are external factors coming into account, speeding the ageing process, hidden yet readily available-
- Sun Damage- a hefty amount of sunscreen (minimum SPF50), in order to preserve your skin from the UV rays.
- Smoking- a vicious drag increasing your blood pressure [amongst other risks] and ageing your skin more than the natural process.
These issues might be painted as mundane, but the slow moving effects might catch on one day; if the prevention is straight forward and simple, you might as well implement them!
Sometimes you get dealt a bad card, a wonky nose or one leg longer than the other. The fact is, your gene pool can play a large part in your appearance – double chin included.
Despite maintaining top notch consumption, and staying active and fit- sometimes there seems to be no end in sight. Struggling to achieve a piercing jaw and shedding that chubby jowl may elicit hopelessness- considering the lack of results accredited to your genetics.
Loosing hope solely due to your hereditary predisposition might feel… easy. However, there is an end in sight! It’s unnecessary to let semantics usher your confidence into a dark hole.
As mentioned, it’s essential to hone in on the root causes, whether it’s hereditary, or munching on too many potato chips.
Once identified, there’s a solution to strive for- hence, it’s not all doom and gloom – help is at hand, with a wide range of means to beat that chin sin!
It may seem incessant, the repetitive mentions of exercise and addressing your diet. They emerge within reason though, as these aspects cannot be emphasised on enough!
It is important to keep a well balanced diet, in order to consume the right amount of nutrition from every piece of the pie.
An excessive amount of anything is harmful, especially when the excess amount equates to salt, sugar and fat. It would be beneficial [in the long run] to fill your stomach with the appropriate calories.
- Whole Grains
- Fresh Fruits and Vegetables
- Lean Proteins
Straying away from empty calories, and replacing them with the suitable calories aids in maintaining your weight- getting rid of your fat cells. Ergo, that unwanted double chin will reduce in size to your satisfaction.
Common yet overlooked examples of empty calories listed below:
- Ice Cream
- Crisps and Carbonated Drinks
- Cakes and Cookies
- Pizzas and Burgers
- Fast Foods
- Junk Foods
This combination [of a balanced diet] compliments your body, by the additional reduction of alcohol and salt intake – which both increase water retention.
According to the Dietary Guidelines, the recommended salt intake (sodium intake) should aim to be less than 2,300 mg per day. In other words, less than a teaspoon of salt!
Moreover, the National Diet and Nutrition Survey (NDNS) portrays that the average for adult consumption [in regards to sodium] amounts to 8 grams of salt per day- deeming it essential to look after what you consume.
In order to keep your skin looking supple, fresh and glowing, it is apt to be wary of chocolates, white bread and sources of dairy. Once in a while, munching on a chocolate bar shouldn’t be harmful, but making it a regular habit would be dangerous.
In addition to the necessary changes [one needs to implement] in order to reduce your double chin; there are treatments in place for this purpose.
PDO – Non Surgical Thread Lift
PDO therapy is a cosmetic procedure that serves to tighten and lift sagging skin by promoting the collagen production.
On first appearance, it may look a lot like acupuncture with the implantation of very fine, Polydioxanone threads into the skin using small needles.
These threads remain implanted into the skin and are communicated to the brain as ‘micro-injuries’ which triggers tissue contraction and collagen synthesis. The result is lifted skin which means tighter neck muscles– goodbye chin!
- The longevity of the treatment depends from client to client- with the average amount from six to nine months.
- After one treatment, it should take around one or two months to gain the final result; but the reduction in your double chin will be drastic.
- After two treatment [six to nine months after the first one], another treatment wouldn’t be required for at least three years.
- The chin area [amongst cheeks] are the most commonly treated areas for PDO Therapy.
- Complements; although these are specific to the areas of need.
- Neuromodulators complement PDO Therapy to rid you of nasty wrinkles, and fine lines due to facial motions.
- Chin fillers complement PDO Therapy to rid you of those straining yet static wrinkles and lines.
Aqualyx Fat Dissolving Injection
There are more than one methods to eradicate your double chin. If your chin is clinging to excess fat, you can bust it with a water-based solution known as Aqualyx.
You can administer a simple few injections under the chin (and other fat areas around the body), which bind to the cell walls of the fat tissue before they rupture and release the fat to be dissolved. There are an array of ingredients used inside the vial for Aqualyx.
- Modified Compound of Deoxycholic Acid
- Red Microalgae Sugars- extracted from agar, which obtains anti-cariogenic properties
- Buffering Chemicals
- Sodium Chloride
The treatment aids in contouring specific areas of your body, targeted by the professional to dissolve the pockets of fat.
Where exercise and healthy diet seem like no avail for that stubborn double chin, and there’s a sense of innate hesitation regarding surgical methods over non- surgical methods. These are ideal alternatives- PDO Therapy or Aqualyx Fat Dissolving Injection.