Botox is not only hailed as a magic wand in aesthetics, but it is also held high for its health benefits. Just as a few shots of Botox are needed to plump up your wrinkles and fine lines. Similarly, a few jabs of Botox for migraine can help you break the shackles of unending pain and misery!
Based on the primary function of Botox, it is widely used to treat many medical and health issues. FDA has also approved the use of Botox for the following health concerns such as:
- Excessive Sweating
- Eyelid Spasms
- Neck Spasms
- Overactive Bladder
- Chronic migraine
What Is Migraine?
Did you know that migraine is the 3rd most common illness globally and the 6th most crippling problem for many people worldwide?
Moreover, over 190,000 migraine attacks are routinely experienced in England alone?
Migraine is a moderate to severe headache that is felt as a throbbing pain on one side of the head. It can last for hours and even days!
Common Migraine Symptoms
Some of the visible symptoms of migraine are as follows:
- Difficulty in speaking
- Numbness in the face, arms or legs
- Sensitivity to light and sound
- Extreme pulsing and throbbing pain in the head
What is Chronic Migraine?
Chronic migraine is more severe than a simple migraine. It tends to occur more than 15 days a month and continues for up to 3 months. It is extremely debilitating for its sufferers and can affect your quality of life.
Furthermore, this disease still remains poorly understood, and it often goes undiagnosed and undertreated.
Headache or Migraine− How To Tell The Difference?
Headaches may cause pain in your head, face or upper neck. Its frequency and intensity may also vary.
Headaches can cause pain in different parts of the head, according to their cause.
- Physical or psychological stress may result in those tension headaches.
- Cluster headaches are quite painful and intense. They occur in cycles on the side of your head.
- Sinus headaches appear along with sinus infection symptoms like fever, cough, stuffy nose, and congestion.
Migraine is a severe throbbing recurring pain that is much worse than a typical headache. It usually occurs on one side of your head. Moreover, it may also cause visual disturbance vision for some time.
Furthermore, medication overuse may also result in chronic migraines. Migraine victims often complain about their diminished quality of life. Also, migraine can affect your personal, professional and social life to a great extent if left untreated.
Migraine Is More than Just a Bad Headache
Chronic migraine has a lopsided effect on women
- Migraine disproportionately affects women around the world. 85% of women suffer from chronic migraine
- Moreover, about half of women have more than one migraine attack each month, whereas a quarter of the women population experience severe attacks per month.
- Roughly, at least 1 in 4 women will experience migraine spells in their lives.
Migraine can have serious social and economic ramifications
- Medical and economic surveys reveal that almost half of the migraine sufferers have missed out on work opportunities
- Surprisingly, as many as 50% of the victims claim that their chronic migraines impacted their career goals
- Migraine has also prevented social bonding among many sufferers
- In addition to social and economic impact, migraine victims also encounter depression, anxiety and loneliness.
7 Most Leading Causes of Migraine That You Need To Know
1- Your Hormones Trigger Your Migraines
Hormones play a huge role in your life. They regulate your sleep cycle, your hunger, moods, and other crucial functions. Changes in estrogen levels can trigger migraines in women, affecting a sizable portion of the women population. Moreover, menstrual cycles and estrogen therapy can also contribute to your painful migraines.
2- You Don’t Sleep Well
Good night sleep is essential to our health and well being. However, many factors can deprive us of an adequate and quality slumber. Doctors believe that sleep and migraines share an inseparable relationship.
Lack of sleep can ultimately lead to migraines and even make them worse. Therefore, a well rested sleep at night or even a relaxing nap can improve your migraine to a great extent.
3- Skipping Your Regular Dose of Caffeine
Did you know that tea and coffee are among the top three most consumed beverages in the world?
Many people rely on caffeine for a variety of reasons. People who are dependent on their caffeine intake may experience severe headaches and migraines if they skip it.
As coffee affects pain and may help to alleviate them, however, too much dose can backfire. Therefore, a limited intake of caffeine is in your best interest and may also help to alleviate your migraine symptoms.
4- Diet And Migraines Have A Link
Even though there is scientific evidence behind your eating habits and migraines, they do have a unique link. Some of the possible migraine triggers are as follows:
- Caffeine (especially if you skip caffeine for a day or two)
- Artificial sweeteners and Aspartame
- Aged Cheese
- Consuming alcoholic beverages, such as red wine, may trigger migraines.
- Cultured dairy products, such as greek yoghurt
- Migraines may also be triggered by nitrates or nitrites found in processed meat
- Skipping meals or fasting
5- You Live A Stressful Life
Stress is one of the leading causes of many diseases and disorders. Similarly, migraines and stress are involved in a vicious cycle. This means that your stressful life can set off a migraine, and chronic migraines can augment your stress.
Moreover, researchers say that fluctuations in serotonin (happy molecule) levels may cause anxiety, depression, stress and sleep trouble. Therefore, it is essential to keep stress under control if not eliminate it.
6- Migraines May Be Stimulated By Your Environment
There may be certain sensory stimulation that can cause migraines for different people. For many people, natural light may become unbearable. While for others, certain odors or smells can trigger migraine attacks, such as perfumes, chemicals, paints etc.
Hence, it is vital to identify the cause of your triggers and seek medical assistance before it worsens your condition.
7- Migraine Is In Your Genes
There are certain factors that leave you rather helpless when it comes to migraines. Your parents may also indicate the reason behind your recurring migraines. A majority of migraine sufferers have a family history of migraines. Therefore, it becomes crucial to seek preventive migraine treatments to keep your headaches at bay.
What is Botox?
Botox is a popular injectable that is used to reduce wrinkles. It effectively interrupts nerve signals in your body, hence temporarily incapacitates muscles. As a result, wrinkles are visibly reduced.
Take a look at some of the reasons that make Botox preferred over other treatments:
- FDA approved injectable
- Minimally invasive
- Saves time as compared to surgical procedures and therapies
- Involves less trauma and discomfort
- Relatively safer to use
- Little to no downtime
- Gives effective and visible results in a matter of days
- A great preventive measure ( especially for anti ageing and chronic migraines)
How Is Botox For Migraine Different From Cosmetic Botox?
Botox can also significantly improve debilitating health issues such as migraines. FDA approved Botox for migraine in 2010.
One of the most convincing proofs for Botox effectiveness against migraines is that, by far, more than 500,000 sufferers have received the treatment.
Chronic migraine can be a nuisance not just for its victims but also for people around them. It can severely affect your professional, private and social life.
While medications, relaxation therapies and lifestyle modifications may offer some help, Botox for migraines has shown effective results.
Many patients have benefitted from the treatment, and many more look forward to getting them.
Botox treatment for migraine – How it works?
According to a study, adults with chronic migraine attacks received botox injections for migraines. They reported more ‘pain free days’ each month. Moreover, they reported fewer leaves from work and improved moods as well.
Botox injections for migraines work by blocking the release of pain producing chemicals. Hence, interrupting the pain production. Botox acts as a roadblock in the nerve pathway. It stops the chemicals before they reach the nerve endings, especially around your head and neck.
Even though Botox won’t make your headaches disappear forever, it can dramatically decrease the frequency of them. This makes it easier for you to go about your daily activities and stops headaches interfering with your life so much.
Botox Injection Sites For Migraine
Migraine Botox treatment may take about 20 minutes. Moreover, typical treatment involves 31 injections around your head and neck. Following are the key injection sites for migraine botox:
- your upper bridge above the nose
- your upper back
- back of your head
The Botox injection needles feel like tiny pricks during the procedure. The understanding of migraine botox injection sites is crucial because you can ensure that your doctor follows them.
5 Most Convincing Benefits Of Headache Botox
1- FDA Approved Treatment
The treatment for chronic migraine is FDA approved. It is specifically authorized for patients of age 18 or older. If you have 15 or more days of recurring headaches, with each spell lasting for 4 or more hours, it is for you.
2- Botox Can Treat Mild To Severe Migraines
Botox treatment is not just for people with chronic migraines. If you are suffering from less severe headaches, you are still eligible for botox injections for migraines.
3- Migraine Botox Compliments Your Relaxation Therapies
Botox treatment for migraines can also work in synergy with your Meditation and Yoga. In fact, Botox injections can boost the performance of any relaxation activity because it works at the nervous level. Therefore, it may be a good option to seek an appointment with your doctor.
4- Headache Botox Can Improve Quality Of Life
Headaches are not desirable for anyone. They bring down your mood; they can prevent you from doing routine activities. A migraine trigger can spoil your social moment or even embarrass you when you can look your best. However, migraine botox treatment can dramatically boost your mood and reduces spells of headaches.
5- Become More Productive At Work
A migraine trigger at night can disturb your precious sleep. You may even wake up cranky and be grumpy all day long. Moreover, stress levels usually spike at work that may also trigger your headaches. However, a headache treatment using botox can significantly reduce your misery. You can expect to sleep well and perform well at work too.
Migraine Botox Side Effects
Botox treatments usually have no serious risks or complications. However, an unqualified practitioner may spoil your results and expectations. Furthermore, some of the rare complications of migraine botox may include:
- Slight pain or discomfort
- Bruising or swelling at injection sites
- Drooping on one eyelid or eyebrow
It is important to note that a sore neck is one of the most common side effects of this treatment. However, an ice compress can effectively relieve your discomfort.
If you do experience any serious complication such as:
- Intense muscle weakness
- Breathing problems
- Finding it difficult to swallow or speak
It is critical to seek medical help immediately to prevent the worsening of your complications.
Prevention of Migraine Episodes
Migraines is a serious business. A pounding, thumping pain with feelings of nausea, irritability and sensitivity to light and sound can be unbearable.
Moreover, patients have reported that they have tried everything to ease their misery when they encounter a headache episode. Here are some of the helpful ways listed for you so that you can start living the quality life that everyone deserves.
Preventive Botox for Migraine
Botox injections can be an ideal solution to prevent your severe migraine episodes. Many clinical trials have shown effective results for chronic migraine sufferers. Moreover, a preventive botox for tension headaches can also reduce your painkillers consumption.
Therefore, it is advised that you seek medical advice on preventive botox to stop your endless pain and misery.
A More Peaceful Environment At Home And Outdoors
Who doesn’t enjoy partying, watching movies in theatres or at home on Netflix? However, such environments can trigger your migraine spells. Since any sensory stimulation can set off your headaches, it is better to avoid them as much as possible.
- It is also advised to avoid driving at night.
- Avoid bright lights even at home and prefer a soundproof room.
- Steer clear from movie theatres that have loud noise and dazzling colours shown to the audience.
- Avoid attending noisy concerts, clubs, and parties, which is also a triggering factor.
- Soaking sun on the beach is not forbidden if you are protecting your eyes from the sun’s glare. Hence, it is better to wear anti-glare sunglasses.
- Please give it a rest already! Try breaking away from your computer screen or TV screen, or put away your smartphones for a while.
Moreover, adjust the brightness levels of your digital devices to put less pressure on your eyes.
Sleep More, Sleep Well
Migraine and sleep share an inverse relationship. How? A severe headache at night may not let you sleep or may affect the quality of sleep. Moreover, a well rested sleep can alleviate your migraine symptoms to a great extent!
- A fixed time for sleep at night can be quite helpful so that you have a regular sleep wake cycle
- Unwind, relax, let go of your tensions and work stress at the end of the day.
Soak in a nice warm bath, listen to soothing music that calms your nerves or spritz some lavender infused water on your pillows. It works, promise!
- Keep away from your TV, smartphones or any device that may cause distraction or affect your sleep quality.
Watch what you eat!
What you take inside has a lot to do with your headaches. Try to eat smart. Your migraines will reoccur less often, and your waist will thank you.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables and avoid too much red meat and excessive protein intake.
- Avoid foods that trigger migraines, such as too much caffeine, chocolate, aged cheese, sodium rich diet and artificial sweeteners.
- Too much alcohol consumption is bad for you and your debilitating migraines. Therefore, limit your alcohol intake
- Avoid skipping meals because fasting can trigger your headache spells.
Stress Is Your Enemy
Remember! No problem is bigger than you. Life may get tough at times, but it must not hold you back from living it to the fullest. You can deal with any difficult situation before you by acting smartly and wisely.
Migraines breed on stress and take a variety of steps to reduce anxiety and pressure. Try yoga, medication or have a banana! ( which is a happy fruit and can boost your mood)
Cosmedocs is always looking out for you. We know how challenging it can get to deal with migraines and headaches every time. We also know that you deserve to enjoy every single moment of your life to the fullest.
Do not let these painful condition take away the best of you! Please book your appointment with us and find out more about migraine botox.